Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Book Freak

People that know me well know that I love to read (yes, I'm an admitted book freak). Part of the reason is that growing up, we were always encouraged to read and I often saw my parents reading a book. In fact, before my mom died, she had read approximately 25 books each year. Amazing. I'll get there one day...I read a statistic from Dan Miller (www.48days.com) who stated that if you read 10 pages a day for a year, in one year, you will read 20 books. That's really attainable! My goal for this year is 15 books. As of today, I've read 11 so far this year.

As I was reading a book (how ironic) I learned of a web site called bookcrossing.com, which basically encourages giving back to the world at large, one book at a time. You join the web site for free, receive a number for your book, then put a book plate with the number in the cover and leave it--anywhere. When someone picks up the book and reads it, they then go to the web site, log in the book's number, write a journal entry on what they thought of the book and then they pass the book on to another stranger. You can track your book to see where it finally ends up and what the people who found the book said about it. HOW COOL IS THAT! That's changing the world, one book at a time!

So, even if you don't want to be a part of bookcrossing--READ. It can take you places you never thought possible and you don't even have to become a book freak.

1 comment:

Shelly Waugh said...

Hey...being a book freak is cool! I want to be a book freak too!