Friday, September 22, 2006

Look Away

Today as I was driving in downtown Nashville, I saw a man on the side of the road. Dirty and unkempt, he just stood by the side of the interstate exit ramp looking dazed and lost.

As I passed him by, rubber-necking to get a glimpse of whether or not he was holding a sign (I was curious if he was asking for money), I said a short little prayer for him, something along the lines of "Lord help him." I didn't know him, but my heart ached for what appeared to be his lack.

How often is it that we just look away? Sometimes it is difficult to look into the eyes of someone more desperate then ourselves. Could it be that we are ashamed of our blessings? Or do we feel that we cannot (or will not) help someone else in need? Do we not even see a person in need because we are too focused on our own issues and problems? Is what we deal with on a regular basis (traffic, work issues, relationship issues, etc.) more important than someone who is in want of food, shelter, a shower or a clean bed to sleep in at night? Does our own selfishness blind us to the needs of others?

I have always felt that every young person (under the age of 18) should be required as a part of school to get out there and help someone in need. It is so amazing to me when you help someone else and are willing and open to give of yourself, how your problems seem to pale in comparison to theirs. Maybe then it won't be so easy to just look away.

No comments: