Friday, September 29, 2006

The Heart of the Servant

Yesterday I was listening to "The Dave Ramsey Show" (www.daveramsey.com) who is a financial counselor with a talk radio show. His guest was author John Miller, of the book "QBQ." One of the best quotes from him on the show was this:

"Service is doing something for someone that you didn't have to do."

I have to look back at my day and think to myself, "Did I do something for someone today that I didn't have to do?" Well, I had coffee with a friend tonight who needed to get out of the house. I held the door for someone at school, I brought cookies for me and a friend to have during our class break. So I did do something for someone else that I didn't have to do. What a shame it would be to look back upon my day without having done something for someone else--it seems like such a waste. Even that small gesture of holding the door for a stranger can mean so much to them. It may just be the bright spot in their day--that you would go beyond yourself to think of them. I wonder what changes the world would take on if everyone made this the goal of every day...to have that servant's heart.

I believe that we often associate a servant with a slave. But according to Webster a servant is "one who serves another." To serve is "to work for; to minister to; to wait on; to attend; to help; to promote; to advance; to satisfy; to deliver formally."

Have you had the heart of a servant today?

No comments: