Monday, February 19, 2007

Identity Issues

In my digital imaging class, we were assigned to create an image of ourselves through various poses in the same room to represent the conflicts of identity (meaning..."I am a student yet a teacher, etc, etc.).


Here is my completed assignment. I feel, as an artist, to make statements on my work.


I am playing piano to show that I am often conflicted between being a musician and an artist--meaning that I feel like I cannot excel at one without letting the other slip. The next two, with me sleeping and one with me reading shows both the conflict in loving to sleep (yes, it's a hobby) and being a night owl, when I often stay up late working on creative things; as well as the conflict I feel when I realize I may be a good sleeper compared to most, but yet I have those nights of too much caffeine where I toss and turn and sometimes wonder "Do I have insomnia?" It also doesn't help that for the research work I am doing, I am reading a lot of books on sleep (e.g. The Family that Couldn't Sleep). The next one, where I am praying conveys the trust in God and faith in Him. Where I am standing by the window, I wanted to show paranoia...someone who is looking through the blinds may be paranoid of something (not trusting).


In Photoshop, we took one photograph and used it as the original then cut and pasted the others into that document...can you tell which one is the original?


Next up...collages of my family!

2 comments:

Melinda said...

I would guess either the reading-Michelle or the piano-playing-Michelle. But I'm not totally sure. Very cool picture. How long did this take?

Shelly Waugh said...

Very cool...my guess is that the original one is of Michelle sleeping.