Monday, July 31, 2006

To Death and Back

Last week on "How Art Made the World," the topic was "To Death and Back." The entire episode reviewed how death was portrayed in art throughout history. The the Etruscans, in 400 BC Italy, were the ones who actually developed much of the art and architecture that is often accredited to the Romans...interesting. Much of the art done by the Ertruscans depicted death being both terrifying and at the same time reassuring.

The most intriguing part of this episode, however, was the reference to the Cross. For some people, a picture of the Cross brings a feeling of fear--as if it is to warn them of their damnation to Hell for eternity--if they don't "get it right." Others may look upon it with sadness because of the horrific death that it causes those who are hung upon it.

For most, like myself, I have an entirely different idea and different feelings when I see the Cross. I, like most, have a sense of reassurance, of hope and of joy. I also have eternal gratefulness to Jesus Christ, Who hung upon it for me even though I didn't deserve it. Even if I was the only one on this earth--He did it for me. He went to Death and Back so I may live.

So what feeling does the Cross evoke in you?

No comments: