Monday, March 26, 2007

Trapped

I have recently discovered (again) what can happen when your back is up against the wall...trapped, with some big decisions to make. To me these are life's most defining moments. Will you tie yourself to fear or will you do what you can to survive, to unleash yourself from the things that bind you?

I am amazed at resilient people who have encountered the severest of obstacles and survived. I recently finished a book called "Tomorrow Will Be Better" by Zdena Kapral. It is her personal story of survival in the midst of the Nazi takeover of Czechoslovakia. Her family survived through WWII as the Russians and Nazis used their home as a battle ground...then moved to India to be caught again in the middle of the Civil War. Zdena, her husband Alex and two daughters survived and eventually came to the United States, where we take freedom for granted. Zdena's story of survival and the triumph of the human spirit is touching (and hit close to home with me). What is most amazing is her resilience in the midst of cruel circumstances that put her back up against the wall...and she fought to survive and free herself from fear.

So what do you do when your back is up against the wall???


2 comments:

Melinda said...

I'm all about fight or flight.

Dave T. said...

Psalm 121! I lift up my eyes to the hills, from where does my help come from? . . . .