Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Furniture

In my 3-dimensional design class, we had to build a piece of furniture from our childhood that we no longer have or live with. So I decided to choose the red chest of drawers in my childhood home that my mom lovingly referred to as "the conversation piece." It didn't really match any of the other furniture in our formal living room, but it had a style and class of its own. My mom always said that everyone should have at least one piece of furniture that doesn't really fit simply to start a conversation.


The chest of drawers still remains in the house. I think of my mom every time I look at it. So here is my version of it, sans the red finish. The hard part is going to be deconstructing it, which is also part of the assignment. The plan is to saw it in two halves diagonally, turn it "inside out" so-to-speak and paint the inside red, just like the real chest. We'll see if I can even cut it apart after the 15 hours of work I put into it constructing the darn thing...






2 comments:

Melinda said...

PLEASE post the "after" picture! Sounds intriguing...

Shelly Waugh said...

Yeah, I want to see it too