Monday, November 27, 2006

Kandinsky

For my 20th Century Art History class, we have to write a paper on an artist and/or a topic. I have chosen Wassily Kandinsky, an Expressionist artist and his writings on spirituality in art. He was a very interesting man, doing extensive writings beyond just artwork. I was really blessed to have worked for a company that took me to Murnau in Germany (outside of Munich) to see where he lived and worked for 8 years. I had never heard of him at the time but now looking back on the trip, I am amazed that I was able to see the environment that inspired him so much not only to paint but to write.

It brings me to an interesting insight...how interesting artists are in that many are very well-rounded and have many interests beyond just creating amazing work. As I am taking classes and learning more about many different types of artist (photographers, painters, sculpters) and different artists themselves, I feel like I fit in more and more with the artistic world. I have always felt like a "jack of all trades, master of none." Now I am learning that being a musician, a writer, a philosopher and a thinker are all great attributes to possess as an artist.

Onward with the writings....

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I got to see a Kandinsky piece at the Frist a few years ago. It was really cool.