Monday, October 09, 2006

Don't Judge a Book....

Last year, in Estes Park, Colorado, at GMA's Music in the Rockies, I decided at long last to sponsor a child through Compassion International. It had been years since I did this...when I was in middle school I sponsored a child through World Vision. I was the worst sponsor because I didn't keep in touch with my child.

As the packets of information were handed out, I told my friend Nikki that I was hoping for a girl (I even said a little prayer). But when I got the packet, I was slightly disappointed to find a picture of what appeared to be a boy. A small, Rwandan child with short hair. In spite of my disappointment, I thanked God that He put me with the right child.

I began reading the child's profile...born in 1996 (the year I graduated high school--that gave me some perspective)...was the child of a farmer...then...she helps her parents to carry water from the well. I was SO excited! I was going to sponsor a little girl!

The reason that it was on my heart to sponsor a little girl is because girls have a special place in my heart...mostly because I am one. I know somewhat about what they deal with, the pressures, the feelings...everything. I want her to find value in who she is and to never let anyone ever tell her that she is less than precious. I have such a loving earthly father and my mother was so influential in my life--I just want young girls to have that kind of encouragement.

So now my heart belongs to Rwanda. I watched "Hotel Rwanda" and rented a movie called "Ghosts of Rwanda" on the genocide that occurred in 1994. My heart ached for her people--although it was before her time, her neighbors, family friends, perhaps family, all were affected by such tragedy. I am trying to understand how 800,000 people were slaughtered because of their class system. I recently got two books from the library to understand more what happened.

In her letters, my Compassion child has been sweet to pray for my future husband and to encourage me through her simple 10-year-old words. I thought I would be the one to give the encouragement and found I have received it in return.

A huge lesson was learned through her already--don't judge a girl by her hairstyle...and don't judge a person's willingness to give when it appears that they have nothing.

No comments: